Application for the class of language education with programm start in
October 2022 is now possible.
The online application portal openes on the 5th of May 2022. The online
portal will be available until the 5th of June at the latest. .
Requirements for application
- University degree graded as above average (Staatsexamen, state board examination, Magister Artium, Diploma, Master of Arts, Maîtrise, Laurea, etc.) in one of the following (didactic-oriented) subjects: English, American Studies, German, Romance Languages and Literatures, Classical Philology, Language Education Research
- The Magister, Master's, Diploma, or Thesis required for Staatsexam must be graded “good” (certificate required)
- Working knowledge in European academic languages (ideally three, at least two, one of them must be German)
- Willingness to actively participate in a structured doctoral program.
A select group of applicants will be chosen based on their applications and invited to an academic discussion with a selection committee, who will decide which candidates to admit. The selection criteria include the quality and feasibility of the dissertation project, academic qualifications, the ability to discuss and cooperate, as well as willingness and ability to work on comprehensive theoretical and methodological questions in accordance with the aims of the doctoral program.
- An essay describing your motivation for applying to the program. Please also indicate the name of the LMU University teacher responsible for the dissertation project in this essay (1-2 pages)
- An exposé of your dissertation project with a work plan (10-12 pages)
- A reference letter from a professor providing information about your academic potential
- Curriculum Vitae with an up-to-date, detailed description of your academic history
- Certified copies of all leaving certificates, diplomas, and degrees from all schools and universities (must include the grade of final theses and final overall grades)
- One copy of your university thesis (or a two to three page abstract in German if it is in an infrequently used language)
How to apply
The application has to be submitted by our application portal.
If you have difficulties with the online application, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens after we receive your application?
You will be notified by e-mail about whether your application has been successful in the first round of the two-stage approval process. If it was, you will be invited to a selection interview, which will take place shortly afterwards. In the event that you need to apply for a visa to travel to the interview, we strongly recommend that you inquire early about the exact modalities of the visa application. Please also note that we cannot cover any costs associated with your journey. In justified exceptional cases, the interview may be conducted by telephone.
For further information on the doctoral program and the application process please contact the program coordinator Katharina Jakob-Scheerer (email@example.com, +49 89 2180 6880).